8.00 CPE Credit Hours
Special Note: This course is being streamed via a live classroom in West Des Moines. Only a simulcast attendance is available for this course.
The course provides a comprehensive, hands-on, pencil pushing understanding of the preparation of both S corporation and partnership/LLC tax returns, along with the underlying laws, regulations, etc. The course uses the basic concepts underlying the two main types of business returns: 1120S and 1065 as building blocks for more complex concepts tax preparers should be aware of. The theoretical concepts get illustrated in comprehensive examples that incorporate the most up-to-date law changes and provisions.
All levels of staff and company controllers responsible for filing these forms
- Learn in detail about the preparation of Form 1120S, Schedules M-1, K, and K-1
- Learn in detail about the preparation of Form 1065, Schedules M-1, K, and K-1
- Identify and handle commonly found S corporation and partnership tax issues
- Compare and contrast the tax consequences, opportunities, and pitfalls of operating a business as a partnership, LLC, or S corporation
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of income tax laws for S corporations from eligibility and election, to tax return preparation, stock basis, and loss limitation issues
- Recognize and properly handle special pass-through items of income and expense
- Accurately prepare S corporation returns and reconcile book income to taxable income
- Accurately prepare partnership returns and reconcile book income to taxable income
- What the transactional method entails and how to report partners' capital accounts under this method
- Properly handle the tax treatment of distributions to shareholders, partners, or members
- Understand the special restrictions and sanctions for tax year-end selection
- Review the basics of partnership and LLC formation and basis calculation
- Self-employment tax or NOT, for each entity
- Filling in K-1s correctly for S corporations, partnerships, and LLCs. Major changes in K-1 reporting on both partnership and S corporation forms and content
- The most frequently used forms and schedules, including some form "oddities"
Surgent CPE, LLC
Level of Knowledge