What is SDCPAS?
The South Dakota CPA Society (SDCPAS) is the voluntary membership organization of CPA certificate holders organized over 100 years ago to provide a variety of benefits and advocacy for CPAs across the state of South Dakota. The association sponsors excellent continuing professional education opportunities, committee and public service projects, insight on issues affecting the profession, and a host of other programs geared to enhancing the role CPAs play in all aspects of business and professional life.
A Brief Look Back
In 1917 a handful of accountants gathered to discuss the direction public accountancy should take in South Dakota. Nationally, certified public accountants were a very new professional group, and the first CPA certificate in South Dakota was issued in 1918.
Nearly 1,000 certificate holders have been members of the South Dakota CPA Society at one time or another. Certificate holders, both in public practice and employed in all areas of business, government, and education, have contributed greatly to the continued growth and expansion of the accounting profession in this state through their service to and support of the association for more than 85 years.
Where We Are Today
SDCPAS continues to be one of the smallest but most prolific state CPA societies in the country for its membership size. Membership continues to grow, and about 100 members step forward each year to further the mission of the association in a variety of ways including but not limited to committee service, special projects, survey response, legislation liaison roles, representation at meetings across the state and country.
Why CPAs Support SDCPAS
- Desire to remain up-to-date on professional issues and activities at the local, state and national levels.
- Interests as CPAs are monitored and represented by the association in state and federal legislative and regulatory arenas.
- Opportunities for professional development and recognition through service on Society committees and special projects.
- Community service under the auspices of SDCPAS.
- Access to various insurance plans.
- Prepared speeches and timely brochures available for use at presentations; software library and publications for member perusal.
- Resume' bank for CPAs seeking accounting positions as well as a online CPA Search for the general public looking for CPAs to perform services for them.
- Attractive price discounts on AICPA CPE materials when ordered through the Society office; access to self study and in-house courses through the AICPA and other vendors only available through SDCPAS.
- Satisfaction of contributing to tomorrow's business professionals through thousands of dollars of scholarships awarded annually, and communication with educators in secondary and higher education.
- Participation in programs which recognize CPAs for outstanding service to the accounting profession and communities where they live and work.