8.00 CPE Credit Hours
Special Note: This program is also available via in-person attendance. Register for in person seating HERE.
Employment taxes are often overlooked as an area where more planning may be effective. Payroll taxes have become an increasing burden for the average business and IRS penalties for noncompliance have risen dramatically in recent years. They have also been subject to employer incentives. The Service has announced that uncovering noncompliance by employers ranks high on its audit list. This course presents a comprehensive overview of federal payroll taxes, Form 1099, and related compliance issues.
CPAs in public accounting and industry with responsibility for payroll tax compliance.
- Distinguish an employee from an independent contractor and understand the relief available to employees who misclassify
- Understand how to complete Forms W-2, 1099-MISC, 1099-R, and SS-8
- Comply with the quarterly and annual reporting for employment tax deposits
- Payroll tax requirements for wages, including wages subject to the .9 percent tax, employee benefits and reimbursements, nonqualified deferred compensation, stock options, and tips
- Fringe benefits issues, such as health insurance, life insurance, cafeteria plan benefits, accountable and non-accountable plans, standard mileage rates, and per diem rates
- Special issues -- Using a common paymaster, how to file W-2s after a takeover, merger, or acquisition, and state and local tax withholding
- Statutory employees, independent contractors, and possible changes to 530 relief
- Penalties -- Who is a responsible person?
- Moving expenses and gross-up calculations
- Form 941 issues and problems, such as disability benefits, tip income, and deceased employees
- Pension issues and payroll taxes including SIMPLE plans, and 401(k) and pension distributions
- The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Forms I-9, W-9, W-2, 1099, SS-8, and Form 940
Surgent CPE, LLC
Level of Knowledge